A Late Night Class Act

Hello all! Sorry but this post will be sans personal pictures as my life has not been that interesting lately and I keep forgetting to take pictures. Now lets begin!

FASHION
I don't know what it is but I still haven't gotten a handle on Korean fashion. Coming to Korea I knew that I would have to dress more conservatively, such as covering my chest and shoulders(although legs are a whole different story, can someone say booty much?). However no matter how hard I try I still manage to feel out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love Korean fashion. It's one of my favorite parts about the pop culture here. People are constantly dressed to the nines and looking fine as hell. Some of these girls really know how to play the fashion field. However, as I was shopping in one of the many clothing stores lining the streets I found that although I really love the Korean style, it's not my style. I wear more fitted and less flowy clothes. Part of the reason for this is because I have more curves than an average Korean woman so the clothes that flow and look classy on a Korean woman just make me look like an over stuffed sack. I simply like more shape to my clothes. And don't even get me started about the sizes! The mannequins here are TINY! Like I could wrap my fingers around the waist of them and have my thumbs touch. Thus I feel a little hesitant to shop simply because I've got a little more junk to work with. For example, I don't consider myself a slim person by any means but I also don't consider myself as a large person either, more of a medium/small. SIKE I barely fit in the large bottoms here, these girls are tiny!! Also, what is with Koreans and pants? It's 90 degrees out and people are wearing jeans and long sleeved shirts! Basically to break it down Korean fashion is a lot of pants, flowy clothes, floral patterns, and pastels where as Elle fashion is more fitted, dark, dare I say edgy, and for the love of God I will melt if I have to squeeze my sweaty limbs into dark fitted jeans.


These shirts are literally EVERYWHERE, I bought one and surprise surprise I look like a bag in it.

2 AM WALKS
I tested the safety of Korea this past weekend when I walked back from a club by myself(my other friends had to stay at a Korean spa for the night because they missed the last train and I really wanted to sleep in my own bed, not lie naked next to old Korean women while I sweat my lively hood away). So at 2 am after a disappointing night at the club(the music sucked, just a bunch of horrible remixes and thirsty boys), I walked the half an hour home to my apartment. And I can say I was not followed or approached even though I was a single woman clearly walking back from the club. Not that I will make this a practice, I would just like to point out the fact that never in my life would I have done this in downtown Seattle.

LANGUAGE BARRIER
Language barriers SUCK! I know, shocker. Who would have thought that not being able to communicate would be so hard? I knew going into this trip that I would be alone, which is fine because I'm an independent person and I do pretty well on my own. But take away my ability to communicate anything besides "Thank you, can I have the angel fruit smoothie?"(banana and strawberry, I get it before class everyday) and it's straight up rough out here. But no fear because my class is teaching my how to ask for phone numbers, so you know I'm going places.

CLASS
Ok so I'm not that lonely. Well maybe a bit. But I've made friends at school which mind you is quite a feat considering I am the only english speaking person in my class. We have students from Taiwan, China, Thailand, France, Mongolia, and Vietnam. Aka not America. But that's fine because it's quite fun to chat using the little Korean we know and confuse ourselves even more. Today one of my class mates who just turned 19 told us she was 29 and I was so shocked I almost fell out of my chair. I said wow you look great for 29! Nope. Not 29, just still learning Korean.

BLOOPERS
- my mouth is always on fire, like always.
- People spit everywhere for some reason, and not just spit but the whole "hwoocheh-duh" kind of spit. EVERYWHERE
- I still can't stop from laughing every time I pass a store blasting American trap music
- I finally got AC in my room!!
- Noraebang is 24 hour (korean karaoke)
- theres a place that sells waffle ice cream sandwiches near where I live, so yeah I hope they make xl large pants here soon

Comments

  1. Time to just be who you are. Might have to go to your strength and drop that neck line a little. We put hormones in our milk for a reason....





    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts