International Pride

Yes yes, I know I've been absent for a hot second, but honestly all you were missing was me studying for midterms. But since midterms are over now I have time to finally sit down and update you all on my life. This post is going to cover my last weekend, mainly Saturday as I slept through most of Sunday.

FRIDAY FRIENDS
I don't believe I have posted yet on my newly acquired roommates. Plural. As in I have 8 more people sharing my bathroom. That's right, I got 8 new roommates on my floor and 2 up stairs so make that 10 new roommates. They are all here to volunteer and teach English to Korean students, although none of them actually come from an english speaking country, I know weird right? But they all speak mostly fluent english, so I've had a blast learning about the countries they all hail from. This includes Malaysia, France, the Czech Republic, Poland, Morocco, Turkey, and Vietnam.

Friday night I invited all my roommates to the Han river to see the light show and visit the night market, both of which did not end up happening for some reason, maybe the rain. Anyways, I invited all my roommates, some class mates, and a Korean friend I met in Seattle who has come back to visit. It was a big group to say the least. We had an awesome time sharing our languages, food, and culture together. The world is a big place.

PRIDE
Now to the main event of the weekend. Pride. That's right, Pride. However in Korea they call this the Queer Festival(which surprised me since this word is just being positively taken back by the LGBTQ+ community in the states). For those of you unfamiliar with pride, although not sure if it's possible not to be, Pride is a festival and parade for the LGBTQ+ community. It is a place to celebrate LGBTQ+ culture and pride and a platform for LGBTQ+ rights. In the states the pride parade has been happening since the 1970s following stonewall. However in Korea, this is only the 18th annual parade. Coming from the US I see how far we have come regarding LGBTQ+ rights and also have far we have to go. But it makes me proud and humble to see the advances Americans have so fiercely fought for and to witness the fight that is just beginning in Korea. Although the festival had a large population of foreigners, it was amazing to see all these people coming together to support one another. Being at Pride in Korea, I can only be an international ally. Sadly this is not a war I can fight in, but I can lend support and that feeling is an incredible one. Let me just give you a little back story on Korea for some insight into this area. Being of the LGBTQ+ community in Korea is still seen as taboo, although in recent years this perspective is changing. However, LGBTQ+ marriages are not legal, adoption for same sex couples is not legal, IVF for lesbians is not legal(as an IVF kid this was a shock to me), etc. Even at the march there was live broadcasting, and I watched as many Koreans turned away from the cameras, afraid of family or colleagues recognizing them at the march.

Pride in Korea was postponed this year because the mass amount of protesters. Even at the parade you could hear them having their own festival across the street, holding signs saying "Homosexuality is a sin, return to Jesus". They were singing and shouting and they surrounded the square where the Pride parade was held. I was honestly heartbroken to see all those people there. It is still something that I don't understand. How Jesus can be used as a form of hate. I do not consider myself especially religious. Yet I hold a lot of respect for religion and the power it has to bring peace and hope to individuals. However, if Jesus disagrees with love, with love between his daughters and sons then I don't really want to stand by him. I was honestly disgusted that all these people would waste their time on hate.

As someone who does not identify as being part of the LGBTQ+ community I will always be an ally. Being at the Pride parade in Korea was such an amazing experience for me. Being able to see young and old Koreans dancing together, shouting together, and marching together was unlike anything I have ever seen. I got to see the beginnings of a movement in this country and watch strangers fight for love together. Here are a few pictures from pride, as well as a kick ass performance from one of the best drag queens I have ever seen.



BLOOPERS:
-Pride afterparty included going to the foreigner district where Homo hill is located, lets just say tequila shots were involved, and lots of soju of course


-Why is the food here always so good???

-Sometimes Korea goes sooo wrong I just can't even begin with this one...

Comments

  1. Glad to see that you are recovered from your cold life is an amazing journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm expecting a post something all on the lines of Seoul Sister in the future

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts